Lee Historical Society
The History of Lee, NH
Lee was originally part of ancient Dover, which was first settled in 1623. Early land grants in the area were made to newcomers to the town of Dover, or added to those already owning more central land. The first grants on record were at Wadleigh’s Falls in 1657 and at Newtown in North Lee in 1663.
In 1735, Durham, which included Lee, separated from Dover. Then Lee, in turn, separated from Durham on January 16, 1766, when it was established by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth. It was among the last of 129 towns to receive a charter during his administration, and named for British General Charles Lee, who later joined the American Revolution.
Wheelwright Pond, shown here, was once the scene of a fierce battle with local Native Americans in which 15 colonists were killed. Among the dead colonists were Captain Noah Wiswall, Lieutenant Gershom Flagg, and Ensign Edward Walker of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
Route 125 was the original track bed for the railroad. The South Lee Train Station was there in the late 19th century and the early 20th century.The white building on the right is still there as is the house on the right. The house is currently the Plumer Bed & Breakfast. The building in the middle center of the photo was the train station and the building on the near left was the milk house.